Episode 55 - Charred Prawns with Prawn and Paprika Broth
Charred Prawns with Prawn and Paprika Broth
60ml dry sherry
zest and juice 1 lemon
2 cloves garlic, minced
60ml olive oil
2tsp flake salt
12 prawns, shelled and de-veined, 6 shells reserved
1 red capsicum
4 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 stick celery, roughly chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 fennel, 1/2 roughly chopped
1/2 bunch parsley, stalks and leaves
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp smoked sweet paprika
145ml dry sherry
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
700ml fish stock
zest 1 lemon
1/2 fennel, thinly sliced on mandolin
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1tbsp sherry vinegar
2tbsp finely chopped parsley
250ml grapeseed oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- To marinate the prawns, place all ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.
- To make the broth, place the capsicum under the grill, rotating occasionally until all sides are blackened. Allow to cool then peel skin and discard. Thinly slice and set aside.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil, add tomatoes for 10 seconds. Remove from water and peel skins away, roughly chop and set aside.
- Place 2 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and set over high heat. Chop prawn shells and add to hot oil. Fry shells until bright orange then remove from oil and set aside.
- Add another 2 tbsp olive oil to the pan, add the onion, celery, carrot, roughly chopped fennel, parsley stalks, peppercorns and coriander seeds and fry until softened. Add paprika and fry for another minute. Return prawn shells and add 125ml sherry and sherry vinegar and cook until reduced by 1/3. Add the reserved tomatoes and half reserved capsicum and fish stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, strain into a clean saucepan and return to a medium heat. Add lemon zest and parsley leaves and simmer for a further 15 minutes. Add remaining 20ml sherry and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To prepare the fennel, place fennel slices in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and sprinkle with parsley. Set aside.
- To prepare the garnish, heat oil in a saucepan until temperature reaches 160C. Add garlic and chilli and fry until golden. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- To cook the prawns set a grill pan on high heat. Remove prawns from marinade and fry on hot grill, about 2 minutes on each side, basting well with marinade.
- Place 3 prawns in each serving bowl. Add fennel slices and remaining sliced capsicum. Add broth and garnish with fried garlic, chilli and fresh fennel fronds.