Episode 49 - Tuna Ceviche with Rhubarb
Tuna Ceviche with Rhubarb
600g tuna, trimmed of bloodline
1 stalk rhubarb, cut thinly on the diagonal
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp salt
2 stalks rhubarb, cut into 4cm pieces
juice 1/2 orange
2 tsp sugar
100ml creme fraiche
salt and white pepper, to taste
60ml olive oil
20ml red wine vinegar
juice 1/2 orange
2 anchovies, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2cm piece ginger, grated
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- To prepare the tuna, cut into 1cm cubes and set aside in the fridge.
- To make the macerated rhubarb, place rhubarb pieces, sugar and salt in a bowl and toss to combine. Cover and set aside in the fridge for 1 hour.
- To make the rhubarb puree, place rhubarb in a roasting tray, cover with orange juice and place in the oven to roast for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer rhubarb to a food processor, reserving cooking juices. Add sugar and process rhubarb to a smooth puree, adding reserved cooking juices, as required. Transfer to a squeeze bottle and set aside.
- To make the creme fraiche, whisk creme fraiche, salt and pepper to soft peak stage. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside.
- To make the dressing, place the anchovies, garlic, ginger, olive oil, vinegar and orange juice in a bowl and mix to combine. Allow to stand to infuse for 10 minutes. Strain dressing and season. Add chopped tuna and allow to sit in dressing for 30 minutes before serving.
- To serve, place dressed tuna on the plate. Add macerated rhubarb and pipe on dots of rhubarb puree and creme fraiche. Drizzle with dressing and garnish with fennel fronds.