Episode 48 - Lobster with Orange and Fennel
Lobster with Orange and Fennel
1 lobster (large 1kg+)
1 large bulb fennel
500ml olive oil
4 cloves garlic, sliced
200ml grapeseed oil, plus more for frying
3 shallot, finely chopped
500ml veg stock
500ml fish stock
4 bay leaves
1 bunch dill
1 tbs coriander seeds, crushed
salt and pepper, to taste
- To cook the lobster, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add lobster and cook for 8 minutes, remove from water and let cool at room temperature. Break down lobster, reserving tail for serving and chopping shells for sauce.
- To prepare the fennel, slice fennel, using a mandolin, to 5mm thick slices. Set aside half the slices in iced water for serving. Place remaining fennel, 1 clove garlic and olive oil in a saucepan and set over low heat to very gently cook fennel until tender. Remove fennel from oil and season. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, heat grapeseed oil in saucepan over high heat. Add chopped lobster shells and cook until caramelized. Add remaining 3 cloves garlic and shallots and cook until coloured. Add verjuice and cook until reduced by half. Add prosecco and cook until reduced by half again. Add stock, 3 bay leaves, peel of one orange and pepper, to taste and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, strain. Add juice of 2 oranges and butter and set aside.
- To make dill oil, reserve 4 fronds dill for garnish. Blanch remaining dill in boiling, salted water until bright green. Dry dill then place in a blender with grapeseed oil and process until well combined. Strain oil and set aside.
- Segment remaining orange.
- To serve, scatter fresh fennel and cooked fennel over serving plate. Sprinkle with salt and coriander seeds. Cut lobster into medallions and place on the plate. Drizzle with dill oil and sauce. Garnish with dill fronds and orange segments.