Episode 45 - Murray Cod with Peas, Bacon and Lemon Sauce
Murray Cod with Peas, Bacon and Lemon Sauce
2 Murray cod, filleted, bones reserved and fillets cut into 3cm wide slices
olive oil, for frying
1 baby carrot, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 leek, white part only, sliced
30ml white wine
100 grams bacon, finely chopped
1/2 bunch parsley
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs rosemary
3 sprigs thyme
500ml fish stock
1 tbs butter
juice of 1/2 lemon
90 grams shelled peas
1/2 small cauliflower, cut into florettes
2 brussel sprouts, separated into leaves
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200.
- Remove skin from fish fillets and lay on baking paper. Sprinkle with salt, lay another sheet baking paper on top and place between 2 baking trays. Place in the oven to cook until skin is crisp, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside
- To make the sauce, heat oil in a saucepan set over high heat. Add bones, carrot, shallot, garlic and half the leek and cook until caramelised. Deglaze pan with verjuice and then white wine. Add half bacon, parsley, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Strain sauce into a clean frypan and whisk in butter and cream. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add peas to blanch and then refresh in ice water. Repeat with cauliflower and brussel sprout leaves. Set all aside.
- Drizzle oil into a frypan set on medium heat. Add remaining half the bacon and half the leek in a frypan and fry until caramelised. Set aside.
- Return sauce to a low heat. Add fish slices and allow to poach gently until cooked through. Remove fish from sauce and season.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper, to taste, to the sauce.
- To plate, scatter peas, cauliflower, brussel sprout leaves, fried bacon and leek and fish on a serving plate and drizzle with sauce.