Episode 44 - Chicken Drumsticks and Sweet Smashed Potatoes
Chicken Drumsticks and Sweet Smashed Potatoes
8 chicken drumsticks
2 tbsp smoked paprika
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 sprigs thyme, finely chopped
2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
juice of 2 lemons
65ml grapeseed oil plus more for drizzling
500gm sweet potato, skin on, roughly cut
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cloves
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- To marinate chicken, combine chicken, 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, garlic, thyme, rosemary and juice of 1 lemon. Season and set aside in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- To make a paprika brush, combine 2 tablespoons salt, remaining tablespoon smoked paprika, grapeseed oil and juice of 1 lemon. Set aside.
- To smoke butter, place 50 grams butter in a small bowl inside a bamboo steamer basket. Place hickory chips in a wok and place over high heat. Place bamboo steamer basket over smoking chips and allow to smoke until butter is infused and melted, about 10 minutes. Remove wok from heat and set aside to infuse for a further 10 minuets.
- Remove butter from basket, add allspice, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Remove marinated chicken from fridge, place on a roasting tray and drizzle with oil. Place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes. (Alternatively, cook in a smoker). Remove from oven and brush with paprika mix. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Char drumsticks until skin is crispy and chicken cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to cook potatoes, place potatoes in a saucepan with just enough water to cover. Set over medium heat and allow to boil until soft. Drain, add 50 grams butter and salt and smash roughly.
- To serve, place drumsticks on serving plate with smashed potato. Drizzle potato with smoked butter and scatter with coriander.