Episode 43 - Beef Fillet with Beetroot Two Ways
Beef Fillet with Beetroot Two Ways
300g beef bones
1 onion, diced
1 leek, sliced
2 baby carrots, roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
10 sprigs thyme
500ml beef stock
30g duck fat, rendered
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup red wine vinegar
6 black peppercorns
70g beetroot, peeled
250g beetroot, peeled
1 beetroot, roughly chopped
250ml vegetable stock
800g eye fillet steak
24 flat parsley leaves
1. To make the sauce, add oil to a large saucepan and fry off beef bones until caramelised. Remove bones and set aside. Add more oil and fry off onion, leek, carrot, celery and garlic until softened. Return bones to pan and add vinegar and cook out for 2 minutes. Add thyme and stock, and cook for at least 1½ hours, covered.
2. To make the pickled beetroot, heat the red wine vinegar with the peppercorns. Bring to a boil and reduce by one third. Slice the beetroot finely. Pour the pickling liquid over the beetroot and set aside in the fridge to pickle.
3. To make the beetroot glaze, juice the beetroots. Strain the juice through muslin and into a pan. Set over high heat and reduce for 10 -12 minutes until you have the consistency like honey. Set aside.
4. To poach the beetroot, place beetroot in a pan with vegetable stock and simmer until cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. To cook the steak, set a pan over high heat, add a dash of oil and sear the beef all over, or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest.
6. Using a pastry brush, brush oil all over a microwave safe plate. Place the parsley leaves on the plate and sprinkle with salt. Microwave until crispy, about 45 seconds. Set aside for plating.
7. Strain the stock into a saucepan and reduce for 15 minutes until you have about 80ml of liquid. Whisk in duck fat.
8. To plate, brush the plate with beetroot glaze. Place pieces of pickled and poached beetroot on the serving plates, followed by parsley leaves. Slice the beef and place on the plate with sauce on the side.