Episode 41 - Sesame Glazed Beef with Wasabi and Shallot Relish
Test Jessica Arnott
Sesame Glazed Beef with Wasabi and Shallot Relish, Chilli Nori Salt and Sake Radishes
Sesame Glazed Beef
4 x 200 gram sirloin steaks, fat trimmed
65ml rice vinegar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tsp white sesame, toasted and ground
2 tsp black sesame, toasted and ground
3cm ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, grated
40ml sesame oil
Sake Pickled Radish
4 radishes, thinly sliced into rounds
Nori Chilli Salt
Zest of 1 lime
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lemon
1 sheet nori
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon salt flakes
1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 cup sushi rice
300ml grapeseed oil
Wasabi and Shallot Relish
1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
2 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp ginger, grated
1/2 tsp wasabi paste
1/4 cup enoki mushrooms
1 tsp white sesame seeds, toasted
1 tsp black sesame seeds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 120C.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the sesame glazed beef and marinate the meat for 20 minutes. Pour off half of the marinade into a saucepan and reduce by half.
- Meanwhile, combine the sake, mirin and radish in a small bowl and set aside to pickle.
- For the nori chilli salt, spread the zest out on a lined baking tray and roast for 20 minutes. Brush the nori with sesame oil and toast over an open flame until crispy. Cut in half and reserve half for garnish. Mix the other half with citrus zest, salt, chilli and sesame in a mortar and pestle and grind until it resembles a fine powder. Set aside.
- Set a griddle pan over high heat Remove the beef from the marinade and sear on the hot pan on all sides, brushing the sirloin with the reduced marinade as it cooks. Set aside to rest.
- Turn the oven up to 150C.
- Cook the sushi rice until it is very soft and almost overcooked. Drain and spread the rice out on an oven tray and bake for 10 minutes to dry.
- Heat oil in a saucepan set over high heat. Add dry rice and fry until golden and crisp. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel.
- For the wasabi and shallot relish combine all ingredients and set aside.
- To assemble, sprinkle nori salt along the 4 dishes and arrange sliced beef on top at different angles. Dot wasabi shallot relish amongst the beef. Dip enoki mushrooms in relish and arrange on the plate. Garnish with radish slices, nori shards and sprinkle with sesame seeds and puffed rice.