Episode 30 - Chocolate Mousse with Walnut Praline and Mandarin
Chocolate Mousse with Walnut Praline and Mandarin
4 egg yolks
130g caster sugar
200ml cream, whipped
2 mandarins, segmented, pith removed, zest grated and reserved
- Melt chocolate and butter over a bain-marie.
- Whisk egg yolks and 60 grams sugar over a bain-marie until pale and thick.
- Whisking continuously, pour chocolate mixture into egg yolk mixture. Gently fold whipped cream into mix taking care not to knock the air out of the cream. Set aside in freezer to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Place walnuts on a lined baking tray. Heat remaining 70 grams sugar in a frying pan until a golden caramel colour. Pour caramel over walnuts and set aside to cool and set. Once set, transfer to a food processor and blitz to resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- To assemble, place praline in the middle of the plate. Using a large spoon, quenelle the mousse and place on top of the praline. Place mandarin segments around the plate and sprinkle with mandarin zest.