Episode 3 - Olive Oil and Fetta Ice Cream
Olive Oil and Fetta Ice cream with Orange Butter Cake
Olive Oil and Fetta Ice cream
5 egg yolks
3/4 cup caster sugar
40 ml olive oil
100g fetta cheese
Orange Butter Cake
150g butter, plus more for preparing loaf tin
3/4 cup caster sugar
zest and juice of 2 oranges
1 1/2 cups S.R. flour, sifted, plus more for preparing loaf tin
1/2 cup cater sugar
1 small cucumber, de-seeded and cut into cm dice
1 egg white
70g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Prepare a 10cm x 20cm loaf tin by brushing with butter and dusting with flour.
- To make the ice cream, place the cream and milk in a saucepan and set over medium heat until just beginning to simmer. Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk until pale. Slowly pour hot cream/milk into the egg yolk mix while constantly whisking. Return mixture to the saucepan and return to medium heat. Allow to heat, stirring, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place the olive oil and fetta in a bowl. Pour the hot cream/milk/egg mixture into the bowl and blitz with a hand blender until mixture is smooth and combined. Strain and set over an ice bath to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer cooled mixture to an ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.
- To make the cake, place butter and cup of the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, zest and juice of 1 orange and beat until combined. Add flour and beat until mixture is well combined. Pour mixture into prepared loaf tin and place in the oven to bake, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the candied cucumber, place sugar, water and Ouzo in a saucepan and set over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, add diced cucumber and set aside.
- To make the syrup, place remaining 1/4 cup sugar, zest and juice of remaining orange in a saucepan and set over high heat. Cook until sugar has dissolved. Strain.
- Remove cake from oven and pour syrup over the cooked cake while still in tin. Set aside on a wire rack to cool.
- Decrease oven to 80C.
- To make the meringue wafer, place egg white and sugar in a bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Remove from heat and spread mixture thinly on a paper lined tray. Place in the oven to bake until dried out, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To serve, scatter candied cucumber on one side of each serving plate. Drizzle with Ouzo candying liquid. Remove cake from tin and cut into rectangular blocks. Place a block on top of cucumber. Break wafer into pieces and arrange around the cake. Sprinkle with more cucumber and meringue and add a quenelle of ice cream.