Episode 3 - Miso Maple Chicken
Miso Maple Glazed Chicken with sweet corn puree
6 rashers bacon
1 tbsp white miso
50ml maple syrup
200ml white wine vinegar
4 chicken thigh fillets, skin on
2 stick celery, leaves picked, 1/2 stick cut into half moons and stick cut in matchsticks
2 ears corn
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place bacon rashers on a rack set on a tray and place in the oven to cook until crisp, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool, finely chop and set aside.
- To make the glaze, place miso, maple syrup, water and 10ml of the white wine vinegar in a saucepan and set over medium high heat. Allow to simmer until miso is dissolved and mixture has thickened and reduced by 2/3. Remove from heat and set aside, keeping warm.
- Place grated zest of 1 lemon and 1 cooked, chopped bacon rasher in a bowl and stir to combine. Scatter mixture onto flesh side of chicken thighs, Roll thighs tightly and secure with kitchen twine.
- Brush skin of each thigh with a thick layer of reserved glaze. Place on a baking tray and place in the oven to cook, glazing twice more while cooking, until chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven, glaze again, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to make the celery salad, place remaining 190ml vinegar, 10g salt, sugar, peppercorns and zest strips of lemon in a saucepan. Set over medium heat and allow to simmer until salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Place half moon celery in a bowl and pour over the vinegar mixture. Place in the freezer until well chilled.
- Strained chilled, pickled celery, rinse under cold water and remove zest and peppercorns.
- Place pickled celery, celery matchsticks and celery leaves in a bowl. Add a squeeze lemon juice and toss to combine. Set aside in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, to make the corn puree, remove kernels from the corn cob and place in a small saucepan. Add milk and pinch salt and set over low heat. Allow to simmer very gently until corn is tender.
- Transfer cooked corn to a food processor. Add cream and butter and process until smooth. Pass through a sieve into a clean saucepan. Set over low heat and allow to simmer until puree is thick. Season and set aside, keeping warm.
- To make the pepita and bacon crumble, place pepitas in a dry frypan and set over medium heat. Toast until lightly brown and starting to pop. Remove from heat and transfer to a mortar and pestle. Add remaining cooked, chopped bacon rasher, salt and pepper and crush to a coarse crumb.
- To serve, divide corn puree between serving plates. Slice chicken thighs and arrange on top of puree. Add celery salad to each plate and sprinkle with pepita and bacon crumble. Season to taste.