Episode 25 - Spiced Duck Breast Salad
Spiced Duck Breast Salad with Duck and Orange Hoisin Sauce
3 radishes, finely sliced
5cm piece of daikon, sliced into matchsticks
1 Lebanese cucumber, seeds removed and sliced
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 long red chillies, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
2 teaspoons chilli bean paste
1 clove garlic, grated
1cm piece ginger, grated
50ml orange juice
Duck and Orange Hoi Sin Sauce
2 duck wings, roughly chopped
100ml orange juice
200ml duck stock
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves garlic
1cm piece ginger
2 strips orange peel, pith removed
2 tbsp orange marmalade
2 tbsp cornflour, mixed with 2 tbsp water
Spiced Duck Breast
2 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns, toasted and ground
2 tbsp salt flakes
2 tbsp orange zest
4 duck breast, skin scored
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the salad, soak the radishes, daikon, cucumber and spring onion in ice cold water for 15 minutes or until crunchy. Set aside in fridge.
- For the salad dressing, combine chilli, sesame seeds, fish sauce, vinegar, oils, chilli bean paste, garlic, ginger and orange juice. Adjust seasoning and set aside.
- For the duck and orange hoi sin sauce, pan fry the duck wings in a hot pan until golden and caramelised, about 10 minutes. Add Cointreau and flamb. Add tamari, orange juice, stock, cinnamon, garlic, ginger and peel. Reduce heat to low and simmer until reduced by half. Strain, add marmalade and cornflour mix. Whisk until thick. Adjust seasoning, cover and set aside.
- For the spiced duck breast, mix together peppercorns, salt flakes and orange zest. Rub the spice mix over the breasts and set aside for 15 minutes. Wipe the spice mix off the duck and place, skin side down, in a cold pan set over medium-low heat until fat has rendered and skin is crispy, about 7 minutes. Turn over and continue cooking until cooked through but still pink inside, about another 2 minutes. Remove from frypan, cover and rest for 5 minutes. Slice each breast into 5 slices.
- To assemble, drain vegetables from the water and toss lightly through the dressing. Place a tablespoon of the orange hoisin sauce in the centre of the plate and lay duck slices over the sauce. Pile salad on top and garnish with sesame seeds, orange, mint, coriander and extra sauce on the side.