Episode 21 - Roast Pork Belly with Mash, Crispy Kale and Pickled Pear
Roast Pork Belly with Mash, Crispy Kale and Pickled Pear
40 ml white vinegar
2 x 500g pieces pork belly
5 medium (750g) desiree potato, 1 sliced 5mm thick, 4 peeled and roughly chopped
125ml hot milk
250ml white wine vinegar
220g caster sugar
2 pears, diced
20ml olive oil
200g pork trimmings
1 small carrot, diced
1 stick celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
500ml chicken stock
40g cold unsalted butter
3 leaves kale
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon salt flakes
fennel fronds, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 230C.
- Drench paper towel in white vinegar and wipe the pork skin. Cover with a thick layer of table salt. Place in a roasting tray that has been lined with sliced potato. Roast for 40 - 45 minutes. Remove from oven and remove salt crust. Return to oven and roast for a further 15 - 20 minutes until skin has crackled. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile for the mash, place chopped potato in a steamer and steam for 25 minutes or until very soft. Pass through a sieve into a clean bowl and add butter and hot milk. Whip with a fork and season. Set aside.
- Place white wine vinegar and caster sugar with 250ml water in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add pears and simmer for 2 minutes until pears are partially cooked. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- For the sauce, add olive oil to a medium frypan and cook pork trimmings for 10 minutes until caramelised. Add carrot, celery and onion and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Deglaze with Madeira and cook for 1 minute. Add stock and reduce by half. Strain into a clean saucepan. Return to the heat and simmer until reduced by half again. Whisk in cold butter and set aside in a serving jug.
- Place oil into a deep saucepan. Heat to 180C. Fry kale in batches for 1 minutes until crisp and drain on kitchen paper. Season.
- Combine fennel seeds and salt flakes in a mortar and pestle and pound to a powder.
- To serve, divide mashed potato between 4 serving plates. Add sliced pork belly, pickled pear and kale. Sprinkle with fennel salt and fennel fronds. Pour sauce around plate and serve.