Episode 16 - Eggplant and Ricotta Tortellini
Eggplant and Ricotta Tortellini
200g flour, type
salt, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
1 sprig thyme
400g eggplant, finely chopped
60 ml verjuice
1/2 cup chopped basil leaves
salt and pepper, to taste
Brown Butter Sauce
12 purple sage leaves
chives, finely chopped
pepper, to taste
- For the pasta dough, place flour on the bench and create a well in the middle. Add eggs into the centre of the well, add salt and work the flour into the eggs until the dough comes together. Knead for 7-8 minutes until smooth and wrap in plastic wrap and set aside in the fridge to rest.
- For the filling, heat olive oil in a frypan and fry onion, chilli and thyme. Add eggplant and fry until soft and golden in colour, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place milk in a saucepan and heat until it is just about to boil. Remove from heat, add verjuice and allow to curdle. Set aside for 20 minutes. Strain through muslin to form ricotta
- Mix ricotta, eggplant mixture and basil together and season. Set aside.
- Roll out rested pasta dough, using pasta machine, to thinnest setting. Cut 24 x 9.5 cm rounds. Place filling onto centre of each pasta round (3 teaspoons of filling) and fold into a tortellini shape.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook tortellini in the boiling water for 3 minutes or until al dente, strain and set aside.
- For the brown butter sauce, heat butter in a pan until it starts to bubble and begins to brown. Add purple sage and fry for 1 minute. Remove the sage and set aside on kitchen paper, to turn crisp. Add the tortellini to the brown butter sauce so the pasta is evenly coated.
- To assemble, place tortellini on plates and drizzle with brown butter sauce. Garnish with crispy sage, chives, onion flowers and cracked pepper.