Episode 15 - Sesame and Panko Crumbed Prawns
Blue Team - Georgia Barnes
Sesame and panko crumbed prawns with wasabi mayonnaise
50 grams panko crumbs
30 grams black sesame seeds
10 grams white sesame seeds
12 banana prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
1/3 cup plain flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
500ml vegetable oil
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
4 radishes, finely sliced
2 spring onions, sliced
100 grams enoki mushrooms, ends trimmed
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp wasabi paste
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
250ml rice bran oil
2 tbsp garlic chives, finely chopped
- To prepare the prawns, combine crumbs, black and white sesame seeds and salt and pepper, to taste in a bowl.
- Dust prawns with flour, dip in beaten egg then coat well with crumb mixture. Repeat the process with all of the prawns.
- In a large pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat until it reaches 175C. Gently add 6 prawns to the oil and fry for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside on paper towel. Repeat with remaining prawns.
- To prepare the vegetables, add grapeseed oil, rice wine vinegar and lemon juice to a medium sized bowl. Stir to combine and season. Add radish, spring onions and mushrooms and toss to coat with the dressing. Set aside.
- To make the mayonnaise, place egg, wasabi, sugar, vinegar and salt in a large tall jug. Using a stick blender, blend ingredients until slightly thickened. Continue to blend while adding oil in thin, slow, stream, until emulsified and light in colour.
- To serve, spread some mayonnaise onto each serving plate. Place three prawns on each plate, add dressed vegetables and garnish with garlic chives.