Episode 10 - Spicy Thai Pork Salad
Spicy Thai Pork salad with fresh herbs
1/2 stalk lemongrass
2cm piece ginger
1 long red chilli
3 coriander roots
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon dried shrimp
3 tablepoons coconut oil
3 1/2 tablespoons palm sugar syrup, or to taste
3 tablepoons fish sauce, or to taste
500 grams pork mince
1 birds eye chilli, finely sliced
1/2 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
1 cup picked coriander leaves, roughly chopped
85 grams peanuts, roasted and chopped plus extra for garnish
12 lettuce leaves
- Roughly chop lemongrass, ginger, long red chilli, coriander roots, garlic, and shallot and place in small food processor with the dried shrimp. Process until smooth.
- Heat a small frypan or saucepan, add 1 tablespoon coconut oil and when hot, fry the paste until the raw flavours are cooked out, approximately 5-6 minutes. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons palm sugar syrup and 1 tablespoon fish sauce. Cook for a further 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Add pork mince, and fry, breaking up into small pieces, until just cooked. Remove from heat and stir in cooked paste. Season to taste and set aside.
- To make the dressing, squeeze lime juice into a small bowl. Add birds eye chilli, remaining 2 tablespoons palm sugar syrup and remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce. Adjust amounts slightly until a good balance of flavours is achieved.
- Place the cucumber, spring onions, mint, coriander and 80 grams peanuts in a bowl. Add reserved pork mixture and dressing and toss to combine.
- To serve, place salad in lettuce leaves and place 3 on each serving plate. Sprinkle with remaining peanuts.