Episode 1 - Vanilla Panna Cotta with Saffron Gel
Vanilla Panna Cotta with Saffron Gel
500 ml cream
50g caster sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped seeds only
2 1/2 leaves gold-strength gelatin, softened in cold water
1 cup sugar
large pinch of saffron
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped pod only
100 ml syrup
100 ml water
zest 1 orange
2-3 leaves gold-strength gelatin, softened in cold water
strawberries, cut into pieces
- Place cream, sugar and vanilla seeds in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat, add softened gelatin and whisk until dissolved. Strain mixture and cool over an ice bath.
- Transfer cooled mixture to 4, 7cm wide x 4cm high, moulds and set aside in the fridge until set, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the syrup, place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for a few minutes, allowing the saffron to infuse. Take out 100ml of syrup liquid and set aside to use for the jelly. Continue to boil until the syrup thickens, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- To make the jelly, place the reserved 100ml of syrup, water and orange zest in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add softened gelatin and whisk until dissolved. Allow to cool over ice bath.
- Strain cooled mixture and pour into a shallow tray. Place in the fridge to set, about 30 minutes.
- To serve, remove set panna cotta and jelly from fridge. Un-mould a panna cotta in the center of each serving bowl. Divide cooled syrup between bowls. Cut jelly into pieces and add to the bowl. Garnish with berries and flowers.