Episode 1 - Sri Lankan Fish Curry
Sri Lankan Fish Curry with Coconut Sambal and Rice
1 whole coconut, broken open and flesh scraped
1 tsp dried maldive fish flakes, finely chopped
80ml coconut cream
juice 2 limes
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 small green chillis, finely chopped
1 tbsp corriander seeds, toasted
1 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
1 tsp fennel seeds, toasted
4 cardamon pods
6 whole Cloves
1 x tsp ground chilli powder
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
50g fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp dried curry leaves
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
4 pandan leaves
1 x cinnamon stick
1 tbsp tamarind paste
2 x 400g tins coconut milk
4 x 150g steaks Spanish Mackerel, skin on and cut into 3cm square pieces, bones removed
1 tbsp ground turmeric
salt, to taste
2 cups Basmati rice
4 wholes cloves
4 cardamon pods
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbsp curry leaves
1 x banana leaf
- To make the sambal, place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- To make the curry powder for the fish curry, grind corriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cardamon pods, cloves, and ground chilli powder to a fine powder and set aside.
- To make the curry, place 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, ginger, curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, pandan leaves and cinnamon stick. Cook until translucent. Add reserved curry powder and dry roast for 2 minutes. Add tamarind paste and coconut milk, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes on low. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, coat fish in ground turmeric.
- Place remaining tablespoon vegetable oil in frypan and set over high heat. Add turmeric coated fish pieces and cook until lightly golden. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
- Add fried fish pieces to the curry sauce and cook on very low heat until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, keeping warm.
- To make the fragrant rice, boil rice in water for 5 minutes. Drain and transfer rice to a steamer. Add spices and steam, covered for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- To serve, place a banana leaf on a serving platter. Add a bowl of fish curry, a bowl of sambal, a mound of rice and some pappadams.