Episode 1 - Scallop Tortellini in Citrus Butter Sauce
Scallop tortellini in Citrus Butter Sauce
185g 00 flour
100g skinless white fish fillets
1 egg white
55ml thickened cream
55ml double cream
200g fresh scallops, cleaned and cut into quarters
1 tbsp chopped chives
salt and pepper
Crispy leek and herb salad
1 leek, white part only, cut into thin strips
1 L vegetable oil for frying
1/4 cup picked chervil
1/4 cup picked dill
1/4 cup chives, cut into 4 cm lengths
Verjuice and citrus butter sauce
250 ml verjuice
1/2 lime, peel and juice
1/2 lemon, peel only
1/2 grapefruit, peel only
1/2 orange, peel only
50 ml cream
250g diced unsalted butter, chilled
1 tbsp chopped chives
2 tbsp salmon caviar
- To make the pasta, place flour, salt, eggs and water in a food processor and process until dough is formed. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and set aside in the fridge to rest.
- To make the scallop filling, place fish in a food processor and blend to a smooth pure and, with the motor running, add the egg white. Pass through a fine sieve into a clean, chilled bowl and stir in the cream with a wooden spoon. Add scallops and chives gently mix together. Season and place in fridge.
- Once rested, use a pasta machine to roll the dough out to the thinnest setting. Lay the pasta out on a floured work surface and cut out 9cm diameter circles. Set aside.
- Place a tablespoon of scallop mix in the center of each pasta disc. Brush lightly around one half of each tortellini with a little water, then fold over to form a half-moon. Form into tortellini shape. Set aside in the fridge to firm.
- To make the verjuice and citrus butter sauce place the verjuice into a small saucepan with the four citrus peels and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Cook until nearly completely reduced, about 5-10 minutes. Add the cream, return to a simmer and reduce by half again. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly whisk in the chilled butter, a few cubes at a time, until it is all thoroughly incorporated. Strain into a clean pan and add the lime juice, chives and salmon caviar. Set aside.
- To make the crispy leek and herb salad heat vegetable oil in a saucepan set over high heat, 10 180C. Fry the leeks until golden brown, remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Transfer to a bowl, add herbs and gently mix together. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook the chilled tortellini, a few at a time, until they float to the surface, around 23 minutes. Remove the tortellini carefully and place in a colander.
- To serve, place a little salad in the center of each serving bowl. Add 3 cooked tortellini to each bowl and drizzle with sauce.