Episode 1 - Lamb with Fondant Potato and Salsa Verde
Lamb with Fondant Potato and Salsa Verde
2 x 6 bone lamb rack, trimmed and frenched
85 ml extra virgin olive oil
6 sprigs rosemary
8 sprigs thyme
1 bulb garlic, broken into cloves and crushed
6 baby beetroot, peeled with tips left on
4 large beetroot, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
2 star anise
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp water
125ml greek yoghurt
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped mint
1/4 cup chopped basil
2 tbsp capers
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
4 potato, peeled and shaped into cylinders using an apple corer
2 radish, sliced finely, for garnish
chervil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Place the lamb racks in a bowl. Add olive oil, rosemary, 6 sprigs thyme and garlic and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate.
- Place beetroot start anise, remaining 2 sprigs thyme, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar and water in a roasting tray. Cover tightly with tin foil and roast until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and set baby beets aside.
- Place beetroot pieces in a blender with yoghurt and blend to a smooth puree. Season and set aside, keeping warm.
- Meanwhile to make the salsa verde, place parsley, mint, basil, capers, anchovies, mustard, remaining tablespoon red wine vinegar and tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a bowl and toss to combine. Season and set aside.
- Place butter in a frypan and set over low heat. Add potato cylinders and cook gently, until golden on all sides and tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain potato, season and set aside, keeping warm.
- Meanwhile, place a frypan on medium heat. Remove lamb from marinade, add to frypan and fry until brown on all sides. Transfer to the oven to roastuntil medium-rare, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside to rest then carve into cutlets.
- To serve, spread beetroot pure on each serving plate. Top with lamb cutlets. Add potato fondants and roast baby beetroot to the plate. Spoon salsa verde on top of the lamb and around the plate. Garnish with radish and chervil leaves.