Episode 1 - Coconut Panna Cotta
Coconut Panna Cotta
175ml coconut milk
2 leaves titanium gelatin, softened in cold water
40g egg white
Passion fruit Curd
1 egg plus 2 egg yolk
65g passion fruit puree
leaf titanium gelatin, softened in cold water
100g mango puree
100g tapioca pearls (sago)
120ml coconut milk
25g palm sugar, grated
3 tbsp water
3 threads saffron
200g pineapple, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 105C.
- To make the panna cotta, place all the ingredients, except gelatin, in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Heat the mixture to just before simmering, remove from heat, add gelatin and whisk until dissolved. Strain mixture and set over an ice bath to cool.
- Once mixture is cool, pour into 12 half dome moulds and place in the fridge to set.
- To make the meringue sheet, place egg white and sugar in a heat proof bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water. Do not allow bowl to touch the water. Whisk vigorously until thick and syrupy and sugar crystals have dissolved. Remove from heat and spread very thinly onto a sheet of baking paper. Place in oven until crispy, about 45 minutes. Remove baking paper and transfer onto a metal tray. Blow torch until light brown, break into pieces and set aside.
- To make the passion fruit curd, place eggs, puree and sugar into a heat proof bowl and whisk until combined. Set over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, stirring occasionally with spatula, until thick. Once cooked add softened gelatin and butter and stir to combine. Remove from heat, strain and place mixture into piping bag and set aside in the fridge.
- To make the mango jelly, place mango puree, water,and sugar into a saucepan and set over medium heat to boil. Whisk in agar powder until all dissolved. Remove from heat, strain and set over an ice bath to cool.
- Once mixture has cooled, pour into a shallow tray and place in the fridge to set. Once set, cut into small cubes 1x1cm and set aside.
- To make the coconut sago, place tapioca pearls and water in a saucepan, set over medium heat and allow to boil until the middle of the pearl is just a small white dot. Strain and rinse with cold water. Add palm sugar and coconut milk, stir and set aside.
- To make the caramelized pineapple, place the sugar, water and glucose in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring just until sugar dissolves, until just brown. Add pineapple and saffron and cook until brown and caramelised. Remove from heat, pour onto baking paper and set aside.
- To serve, remove panna cotta from fridge and un-mould each onto a serving plate. Add some passion fruit curd, coconut sago, caramelized pineapple, meringue and mango jelly to each plate. Garnish with mico herbs.