Ep 71 - Chocolate Fondant with Amaretto Milkshake
Chocolate Fondant with Amaretto Milkshake
Melted butter, for greasing
Cocoa powder, for dusting
200g dark couverture chocolate
200g butter, chopped
4 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
150g plain flour, sifted
100g butter, extra
100g cocoa powder
5 egg yolks
40g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean
2 tbs amaretto
1. For the fondant, preheat oven to 180C. Place a small
square of paper in the bottom of 6 ramekins and grease with melted
butter and cocoa powder. Place ramekins on a baking tray.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a small saucepan of boiling water, turn off heat. In an electric mixer, add the eggs, egg yolks and sugar and mix on high speed until fluffy and white. Tip chocolate mixture into a large bowl, pour egg mixture into chocolate mixture and fold together. Fold in flour and mix until smooth. Spoon or pour mixture into ramekins and place in fridge until ready to serve. When ready to serve, bake in oven for 8-9 minutes.
3. For the milkshake, place 500ml milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, cream egg yolks and sugar together with a whisk. Split vanilla bean in half, scrape seeds out and add the bean along with the seeds to the milk. Once it comes to the boil, pour half onto the yolk mixture, and then pour the mixture back into the saucepan, whisking constantly. Place over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Continue cooking until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, then strain into a bowl and cool over ice. Pour anglaise into a jug and place in the fridge for about an hour.
4. Add 250ml of the anglaise, remaining milk and amaretto to a large jug. Froth with coffee machine steamer or a hand blender until thick and frothy.
5. To serve, gently run knife along outside of each ramekin and turn fondant out into serving bowls. Spoon amaretto milkshake around the fondant and serve.