Ep 71 - Assiette of Chicken
Assiette of Chicken
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour
4 chicken supremes, wing tip removed, bone frenched
1 bunch thyme
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 chicken thigh cutlets
1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
2 carrots, diced
4 celery stalks, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 cup (250ml) white wine
2 cups (500ml) salt-reduced beef stock
500g frozen green peas
3/4 cup (180ml) pouring cream
Finely grated zest 1/2 lemon
1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed, halved lengthwise
Micro herbs, and sliced radish, to garnish
1. Using a candy thermometer, heat a large saucepan of water to 65C. Season the chicken breasts well with salt and pepper, then place two breasts into two food saver bags. Add a pinch garlic, 2 sprigs thyme, 10g butter and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil into each bag, then seal. Place bags in saucepan, ensuring they are fully immersed. Cook chicken for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Once temperature drops below 63C, turn stove on to medium and heat to 65C. Repeat process throughout cooking, ensuring the temperature doesn't fluctuate fall below 62 and above 65C. Remove and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, remove the skin from the chicken thighs, pat dry with paper towel and set aside. Roughly cut up the thighs, exposing bones. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large, deep frying pan over high heat. Add chicken thighs, and cook for 10 minutes or until golden and caramelised. Add carrot, celery and onion and season with salt. Cook, stirring constantly for 10 minutes or until caramelised. Add remaining garlic and most of the thyme to pan, then pour in the wine. Cook for 5 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated. Add stock and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes or until reduced by three-quarters. Strain mixture through a fine sieve lined with muslin and discard solids. Keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, preheat grill to 220C. Place chicken skin over a wire rack, season with salt then place another wire rack on top. Place under grill for 2-3 minutes, turning, until golden and crisp. You will need to watch carefully as the skin burns very quickly. Set aside to cool, then break up into pieces.
4. For the pea puree, cook 400g of the peas in boiling salted water for 2 minutes until tender. Process peas, cream and lemon zest in a food processor or blender until pureed. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then strain through a fine sieve, and keep warm.
5. Place remaining 40g butter in a saucepan with 11/2 cups (375ml) water, 1 sprig thyme and salt, and bring to the boil over medium heat. Add carrots and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are just tender, then add remaining peas and cook for 2 minutes to heat through. Keep warm until needed.
6. To serve, heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook chicken breasts, skin-side down for 2-3 minutes until golden. Slice chicken breasts into 3 pieces. Divide puree between plates, top with chicken, chicken skin pieces and peas. Drizzle with the sauce, then garnish with micro herbs and sliced radish.