Ep 6 - Creamy Lemon Pepper Chicken
Creamy Lemon Pepper Chicken with Paratha and Potato Wafers
Creamy Lemon Pepper Chicken
500g boneless chicken thigh, 2cm diced
1 ½ tbsp white peppercorns
zest of ½ a lemon
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
2 ½ tbsp grapeseed oil, plus more for frying
2 tsp butter
½ stick cinnamon
¼ cup milk
½ cup cream
salt, to taste
2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
½ tsp salt
2tbsp butter, cubed
60ml butter, melted
grapeseed oil, for frying
2 potatoes (about 250g), peeled and sliced to 5mm thick
¼ cup flour
300ml grapeseed oil, for frying
salt, to taste
1. For the Creamy Lemon Pepper Chicken, place chicken in a bowl with ½ of the peppercorns, pinch salt, lemon zest, half of the lemon juice, honey and 2tbsp of the oil. Mix to coat and set aside in fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, for the Paratha, place flour, salt, cubed butter and ¾ cup of warm water in a bowl. Knead to a smooth dough, wrap in cling film and rest in fridge for 10 minutes.
3. Remove dough from fridge, portion into 8 even pieces and roll into balls.
4. Lightly dust a rolling pin with flour and roll dough portions into 12cm discs. Brush with some melted butter and roll up into a log. Brush with butter again then roll into a ball. Roll each out into a 5mm thick disk.
5. Heat a griddle pan and add some of the oil then fry paratha until brown and crisp on each side. Set aside on paper towel. Repeat this process until all paratha are cooked.
6. For the Potato Wafers, place potato slices into a bowl of iced water. Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add potato slices and boil for 5 minutes. Remove and place back into iced water to cool.
7. Remove slices from iced water, pat dry and dust with flour. Shake off excess flour.
8. Heat oil in a deep frypan and fry potato slices until golden and crisp on both sides, about 6-7 minutes. Season with salt and set aside on paper towel.
9. To finish the chicken, heat butter and 2tsp of the oil in a wok. Grind remaining peppercorns in a mortar and pestle, add to wok with cinnamon and cook off for 1 minute.
10. Remove chicken pieces from marinade, add to the wok and fry until browned, about 2 minutes. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
11. Uncover and add milk, cream and salt and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Finish with remaining lemon juice, season with salt to taste.
12. To serve, spoon some Creamy Lemon Pepper Chicken onto plates then add some Potato Wafers and Paratha. Garnish with a wedge of lemon.