Ep 55 - Grilled Quail with Artichokes
EP 55 Laura
Grilled Quail with Artichokes, Mushroom Panzanella and Red Wine Jus
4 x 190 gram quails, legs and breasts removed, bones chopped
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 leek, roughly chopped
2 onions, 1 roughly chopped and 1 finely chopped
10 sage leaves, sliced
250 ml shiraz wine
juice of lemons
2 globe artichokes
6 sprigs thyme
420 grams Jerusalem artichokes
120 grams butter
2 tablespoons cream
200 grams portabello mushrooms, half sliced thickly, half cut into quarters
60 grams oyster mushrooms, sliced
100 grams enoki mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
250 ml red wine vinegar
4 slices baguette
4 slices pancetta
canola oil, for deep frying
1 orange, zested for garnish
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make sauce, place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frypan and set over high heat. Add quail bones, carrot, leek, roughly chopped onion and 6 sage leaves and cook until caramelised. Add shiraz and cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 litre water and simmer for 45 minutes or until reduced to 80ml. Strain into a clean saucepan and set aside.
- Meanwhile place lemon juice in a large bowl of water. Peel globe artichokes, remove choke and cut into quarters, storing in lemon water to stop cut artichoke turning brown. Drain, pat dry and place on a roasting tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, add 6 sprigs thyme and place in the oven to roast until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Peel Jerusalem artichokes. Use a mandoline to finely slice 2 artichokes, set aside in lemon water. Grate remaining artichokes. Heat 50 grams butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add grated artichoke and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Add cream and puree until smooth. Season and pass through sieve. Set aside, keeping warm.
- Add 40 grams butter to frypan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and remaining sage and fry until brown. Remove from heat, cover and set aside, keeping warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to frypan and set over medium heat. Add finely chopped onion and cook until caramelised. Add garlic and red wine vinegar and cook until thickened and reduced, about 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
- Place a grill pan over high heat. Once hot, add baguette slices and cook until char lines appear and bread is toasted. Remove and set aside.
- Place pancetta on hot grill pan and fry until crisp. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drizzle quail legs and breasts with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season. Add quail, skin side down, and fry until skin is brown, about 3 minutes. Turn and fry until quail is cooked through, about another 30 seconds. Remove from pan and cover to rest and keep warm.
- Heat canola oil in small saucepan over high heat. Drain artichoke slices and pat dry. Add to hot canola oil and fry until golden and crisp. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
- To finish sauce, re-heat over a medium high heat. Whisk in 30 grams butter, a piece at a time. Season to taste.
- To serve, divide artichoke puree between plates. Top with quail pieces, mushrooms, caramelised onion, pancetta, roasted globe artichoke and Jerusalem artichoke chips. Sprinkle with orange zest. Serve with toasts and sauce.