Ep 50 - Roasted coral trout
Roasted coral trout with fennel hearts, baby root
vegetables, lemon thyme and chicken consommé
Recipe by Josh Emett
2 chicken marylands, lightly salted overnight
2 x150g coral trout fillet, skinless, pin-boned
2 purple potatoes, turned to 3cm pieces
2 kipfler potatoes, turned to 3cm pieces
2 baby golden beetroot, trimmed
600ml olive oil, plus extra for frying
1 garlic clove
1 baby fennel, sliced lengthways into 1cm pieces
50g sugar snap peas, pod separated, peas left intact
2 baby yellow carrots, peeled sliced into 1cm pieces, diagonally
100g cauliflower, broken into florets, thinly sliced into flowers
50g shimeji mushrooms
50g unsalted butter
1 1/2 small carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 1/2 small celery sticks, roughly chopped
1 1/2 brown onions, roughly chopped
1 bay leaf
15 lemon thyme sprigs
1.5L chicken stock
1 chicken breast
5 egg whites
1 cup plain flour
� cup mineral water
� tsp curry powder
1 tsp lemon thyme leaves
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Remove skin from the chicken legs and rinse off any excess salt. Drain and pat dry. Reserve the skin and chop up the maryland (bone in) for the consommé.
3. To make the consommé, place the chicken, 2/3 each of the carrot, celery and onion, the bay leaf, some of the lemon thyme and stock into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 35 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a deep tray and cool in the fridge.
4. Blend chicken breast in a food processor until smooth. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the mixture for the coral trout. Add the egg whites and remaining carrot, celery and onion to the remaining chicken puree and process until well pureed.
5. Add the potatoes, beetroot, garlic, some of the thyme sprigs with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt in a saucepan over low heat. Cook gently for 20-25 minutes until soft and cooked through.
6. Return the chicken broth to the stove over low heat and whisk in the chicken and egg white mixture. Bring up to a slow simmer to clarify the broth. Once the broth is clarified, strain through muslin cloth and infuse with lemon thyme sprigs.
7. Spoon a little of the reserved chicken puree into the skin of the leg and smooth it over with your fingers. Push the trout fillet into the chicken skin until completely wrapped. Trim off excess skin. Wrap tightly in cling film, then poach in boiling water for 1 1/2 minutes. Refresh in iced water, remove cling wrap and any excess moisture.
8. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook fennel until tender, adding butter to finish.
9. Combine tempura batter ingredients in a bowl. Heat oil in a frying pan over high heat. Brush the chicken skin on the coral trout with the tempura mixture. Caramelise the trout in the pan. Leave to rest for 4 minutes before slicing.
10. Meanwhile, blanch sugar snap peas, carrots and cauliflower in boiling salted water. Refresh and keep warm.
11. Sauté individual shimeji mushrooms and keep warm.
12. To serve, reheat consommé and warm the vegetables with a little confit oil. Place vegetables neatly around the plate, pour consommé over the vegetables. Slice 4-5 neat slices of trout and arrange over vegetables. Garnish with thyme leaves.