Ep 47 - Coconut Braised Chicken
EP 47 Jamie & Laura
Coconut Braised Chicken
2 x 270 ml cans coconut cream
500 mls chicken stock
6 kaffir lime leaves
1/2 stalk lemongrass, 1/2 roughly chopped and 1/2 very finely sliced
1 x 4cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 x 4cm piece galangal, roughly chopped
2 long red chillies, finely sliced
1 chicken, chopped into 4 pieces
4 tablespoons fish sauce
30 grams palm sugar
juice of 2 limes
12 canned lychees, drained and cut in half
1 cup picked coriander leaves plus more for garnish
1 cup picked thai basil leaves
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup baby corn
1 small shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
fried shallots, for garnish
1. Place coconut cream, stock, kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped lemongrass, ginger, garlic, galangal and 1 long red chilli in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add chicken, reduce heat, cover and allow to simmer gently until chicken is cooked through, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Remove chicken from broth, shred and set aside.
3. Strain broth and skim fat from the surface. Return broth to a medium heat. Add fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice and allow to simmer another 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, to make the salad, place the finely sliced lemongrass, coriander leaves, thai basil leaves, bean sprouts, baby corn and finely sliced shallot in a bowl and toss to combine.
5. Divide salad between serving bowls. Top with some shredded chicken and pour over some broth. Garnish with coriander leaves and fried shallots.