Ep 44 - Raddichio Tortellini with Blue Cheese Cream
EP 44 Amy Shields
Raddichio Tortellini with Blue Cheese Cream
200 grams "00" flour plus more for dusting
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 head raddichio, finely chopped
1/2 bulb fennel, finely chopped, fronds reserved for garnish
170 ml double thick cream
80 grams walnuts, half toasted and ground and half toasted for garnish
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
60 grams blue cheese, roughly chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1. To make the pasta, place the flour, egg, 2 teaspoons olive oil and pinch of salt in a food processor and process until soft crumbs form. Tip out into a floured surface and knead until a soft dough forms. Wrap in plastic and allow to rest.
2. Meanwhile, to make the tortellini filling, place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frypan and set over medium heat. Add½raddichio and the fennel and fry, stirring occasionally, until very soft. Add 2 tablespoons of cream, stir to combine and season with salt.
3. Remove mixture from heat and transfer to a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped but not minced. Transfer mixture to a bowl, add ground walnuts, stir to combine and set aside.
4. To make the raddichio pickle, place 1 tablespoon butter in a frypan and set over medium heat. Add remaining raddichio and cook until just soft. Add vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar and a pinch of salt and continue to cook, covered, adding a little water if necessary until really soft. Remove from heat and set aside, keeping warm.
5. Roll the rested pasta through a pasta machine to create long, thin sheets. Cut out rounds, using a 10 cm cutter. Place 1½teaspoon amounts of filling on each round and fold in half, sealing the edges with a little water to create½moon shapes. Set aside on a floured board.
6. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the tortellini and cook until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain.
7. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Place the remaining 130 ml cream in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Once warm, add the blue cheese and stir until just melted.
8. To serve, divide the raddichio relish between serving plates. Top with tortellini and spoon over blue cheese sauce. Garnish with fennel fronds and toasted walnut halves. Season.