Ep 44 - Cheese and Fennel Salad
EP 44 Brenton Owens
Cheese and Fennel Salad
2 litre milk
80 mls white vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 pear, very finely sliced
2 bulbs fennel, 1 cut in wedges and 1 finely sliced
420 mls grape seed oil
2 beetroot, peeled 1/2 thinly sliced and 1 1/2 kept whole
150 grams sea salt
125 mls honey
1 tablespoon cream
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Place milk in a saucepan and set over high heat. Bring to a boil then add 30 mls vinegar and stir until milk splits. Remove from heat and pour through a muslin lined sieve, reserving solids and discarding liquid. Wrap solids in the muslin and squeeze gently to form a log shape. Set aside in the fridge.
3. Place 40 mls vinegar, sugar and pear slices in a bowl and toss to coat. Set aside to pickle for 30 minutes.
4. Place 400 mls grape seed oil in a saucepan and set over low heat. Bring to 100C, add fennel wedges and allow to cook very gently, keeping oil at 100C, until soft, about 45 minutes.
5. Wrap whole beetroot in foil and place on top of sea salt on a baking tray. Place in the oven to roast until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven, unwrap and cut into small cubes. Set aside.
6. Place 1/2 honey in a saucepan and set over low heat. Add fennel slices and simmer gently until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove fennel and set aside. Add remaining 10 mls vinegar, cream, butter, salt and pepper to the honey and whisk to combine. Allow to simmer until reduced by half. Remove from heat and set aside.
7. Place roasted walnuts and 1 tablespoon salt in a mortar and pestle and crush to a coarse powder.
8. Slice reserved milk solid "cheese" into slices. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a frypan. Add "cheese" slices and fry until golden, about 1 minute on each side. Remove from heat.
9. To serve, divide pear, fresh beetroot, roasted beetroot, fennel wedges and slices and cheese between plates. Drizzle with honey/cream sauce and season with salt and pepper.