Ep 4 - Szechuan and Coriander Mud Crab
EP 4 Rachel Ciesiolka
Szechuan and Coriander Mud Crab with aromatic Chinese Broccoli
1 (1kg) mud crab, cleaned
1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns, toasted
2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted
¼ cup rice flour
1 bunche Chinese broccoli, stalks removed and cut into 1 cm cubes, leaves sliced
750 mls plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 spring onions, white and green part thinly sliced
3 cm ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons Shao Hsing wine
salt, to taste
- Remove shell from body and clean. Cut crab body in half and remove and crack all legs and claws slightly. Set aside all crab pieces.
- Place the toasted Szechuan peppercorns and coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle with 2 teaspoons salt and crush to a medium fine powder. Transfer to a large bowl, add the rice flour and stir to combine. Add the crab and toss to coat all areas. Remove crab from seasoned flour and set aside.
- Place a saucepan of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli stems and cook until starting to turn tender, about 4-5 minutes. Remove stems from water and set aside in an ice bath to stop cooking.
- Heat 750 mls oil in a wok. Add the white slices of spring onion and ginger to the oil and cook, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until crisp and golden, about another minute. Transfer to paper towel and set aside. Add the crab to the oil, stirring the oil constantly, until the crab is cooked, about 3-5 minutes for the legs, 5-7 minutes for the body and 7-10 minutes for the claws. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel. Add crab shell and cook until bright orange, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel.
- Remove oil from wok and wipe dry. Place the wok over high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add the reserved garlic, ginger and spring onion and the broccoli stems and toss well. Add the broccoli leaves and crab and sir. Pour Shao Hsing wine around the side of wok and toss crab from bottom to top, cooking wine for 1 minute. Transfer the crab to a deep bowl, sprinkle with green spring onion slices, and garnish with crab shell.