Ep 39 - Roast Quail with Carrot Puree and Jus
EP 39 Laura Cassai
Roast Quail with Carrot Puree and Jus
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 quails, de-boned, bones chopped and reserved
3 carrots, 1 roughly chopped and 2 grated
1 stick celery, roughly chopped
1/2 bulb fennel, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
750 ml reisling
6 sprigs thyme
500 ml chicken stock
250 grams cherry tomatoes
8 leaves sage
8 slices pancetta
2 tablespoons cream
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Place 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan and set over high heat. Add quail bones and cook until caramelised. Add roughly chopped carrot, celery, fennel, onion and garlic and cook until coloured. Add reisling, bring to a simmer for 1 minutes. Add 4 sprigs thyme, stock and 250 ml water, bring to a boil and allow to simmer until reduced, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat, strain into a clean saucepan, season and set aside, keeping warm.
3. Place tomatoes and 2 sprigs thyme on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in the oven to roast until soft but still holding their shape, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. Place 2 sage leaves inside each quail. Wrap each in pancetta and tie with twine to secure. Set a frypan over medium heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add quail and fry until brown on all sides. Transfer to the oven to roast until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside, covered, to rest.
5. Place butter in a frypan and set over medium heat. Add grated carrot, allow to cook, adding a little water as needed until carrot is soft, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor, add cream and process to a smooth puree. Pass through a fine sieve, season and set aside.
6. To serve, spread some carrot puree on each plate. Remove twine from quail and carve. Add quail and tomatoes to each plate. Drizzle with jus.