Ep 39 - Pan Fried Skate with Pea Salad
EP 39 Brenton Owens
Pan Fried Skate with Pea Salad
120 grams butter
500 grams Jerusalem artichoke, peeled and finely sliced
200 grams sugar snap peas
80 mls cream
1 cup mint leaves, plus more for garnish
95 mls grape seed oil
4 x 180 gram skate fillets
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place 100 grams butter in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Add artichoke slices and 2/3 the peas and cook until soft, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor, add cream, season with salt and pepper and blend to a smooth puree. Pass through a sieve into a clean saucepan and set aside.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add mint leaves and blanch until bright green, remove from water and place in an ice bath. Once cool, transfer to a food processor and process while slowly adding 75 mls oil until a fine puree. Pass through a sieve into a clean bowl. Squeeze one lemon into mint oil, whisk until combined and set aside.
3. Peel remaining lemon and cut into segments, cut each segment in thirds and place in a bowl. Finely slice remaining 1/3 of peas and add to lemon segments and set aside.
4. Place remaining 20 grams butter and remaining 20 mls oil in a frypan and set over medium heat. Season skate with salt and pepper and fry until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
5. To serve, place some artichoke and pea puree on the plate. Add skate, drizzle with mint oil, add pea and lemon salad and garnish with mint leaves.