Ep 39 - Goats Cheese Parfait with Mint Sauce
EP 39 Sarah Todd
Goats Cheese Parfait with Mint Sauce
395 grams sugar
5 egg whites
350 grams goats cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons cream
4 lemons, 2 zested and juiced and 2 peeled and segmented
2 bunches mint
1 cup vinegar
55 grams butter
35 grams flour
1 cup peas
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Place 50 grams sugar and 1 tablespoon water into a saucepan and set over medium heat. Allow to simmer until sugar reaches 118C. While the sugar is heating place 4 egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. While still whisking, slowly pour in 118 C sugar and continue whisking until mixture is room temperature and is thick and glossy.
3. Place goats cheese, cream, lemon zest and 2/3 lemon juice in a bowl and stir to combine. Add 1/3 meringue and fold in gently. Finely shred½bunch mint leaves and add with remaining meringue. Fold in gently and place in the freezer to set.
4. Place 250 grams sugar, 250 mls vinegar and 100 mls water in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Once boiling, add lemon segments, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
5. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil over high heat, add peas and cook just until bright green. Remove from water and place in a bowl of iced water. Add remaining mint leaves to boiling water and cook just until bright green. Remove mint from boiling water and place in a bowl of iced water.
6. Remove peas from iced water and add to saucepan of cooled lemon segments, set aside.
7. To make the tuilles, place 35 grams butter and 35 grams sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add remaining egg white and beat until combined. Add flour and beat until combined. Spread a thin layer on a paper lined baking tray, to measure about 30 cm x 30 cm. Place in the oven to bake until golden, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from oven, cut into 8 rectangles and set aside to cool.
8. Place 60 grams sugar and 60 mls water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile remove blanched mint leaves from iced water and place in a food processor. Remove sugar syrup from heat and add to mint leaves, add remaining 1/3 lemon juice and process to a fine puree. Pass through a sieve into a clean saucepan. Set over low heat. Add butter, season and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
9. To serve place a tuille on each plate, top with parfait and then another tuille. Remove lemon segments and peas from sugar syrup and place on top. Drizzle with mint sauce. Season to taste.