Ep 37 - Pumpkin and Orange Soup with Smoked Cumin Yoghurt
EP 37 Blue Team
Pumpkin and Orange Soup with Smoked Cumin Yoghurt
500 grams butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into xx cm cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
100 grams Greek yoghurt
100 grams crème fraiche
apple smoke chips
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
zest and juice of 2 oranges
50 grams butter
1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 leek, white part only, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
1 litre vegetable stock
100 grams cream
fresh coriander, for serving
smoked black salt, for serving
croutons, for serving
sea salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Place pumpkin on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, season and place in the oven to roast until caramelised, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven.
3. Place the yoghurt, crème fraiche and sea salt in a lidded container and stir to combine. Using a smoke gun and the apple smoke chips, smoke the mixture until it has a subtle smoked flavour.
4. Add the cumin and zest of 1 orange to the smoked yoghurt and stir to combine. Set aside in the fridge.
5. Place the butter in a frypan and set over medium heat. Once melted, add onion, leek and garlic and cook until translucent. Add the roasted pumpkin, zest of remaining orange, orange juice, apple and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until all vegetables are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Transfer soup to a food processor and process until completely smooth. Return to the saucepan, add cream, season to taste.
7. To serve, place the soup in bowls. Top with a dollop of smoked yoghurt, fresh coriander, black salt and croutons.