Ep 34 - Pork Chop, Popcorn Grits and Pickles
EP 34 Team America
Pork Chop, Popcorn Grits and Pickles
4 slices/ 60 grams pancetta
50 grams pork fat
1 granny smith apple, 1/2 in one piece for sauce, 1/2 finely diced for garnish
2 small onions, 1 peeled and sliced and 1 peeled and quartered
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
3 breakfast radish, sliced 2mm thick
2 cups popped popcorn
125 grams butter
500 mls milk
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 x 250 gram pork mid loin chops/ cutlets
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place pancetta, pork fat, apple half, onions in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Once fat has melted, add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Remove onion quarters, break into petals and set aside. Strain sauce into a clean saucepan and set aside.
2. Place vinegar, sugar and mustard seeds in a small saucepan and set over high heat. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and add radish slices. Set aside to pickle.
3. For the grits, place popcorn, butter and milk in a saucepan and set over medium-low heat. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally until all milk and butter is incorporated and the popcorn has broken down, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, press through a sieve into a clean saucepan, season and stir vigorously to make a smooth mixture and set aside.
4. Place a frypan over low heat. Add 1 tablespoons oil and cook chops, skin side down until fat has rendered. Increase heat to medium and cook chops until brown on both sides and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness. Remove from heat and allow to rest , covered for about 8 minutes.
5. To serve, place a spoonful of grits on plates. Add chops and onion petals. Remove radish from pickling mix and add. Add apple and some mustard seeds from the pickling mix. Drizzle with sauce and season to taste.