Ep 28 - Chicken with Buttered Onion Puree
EP 28 Tracy Collins
Chicken with Buttered Onion Puree, Mushroom and Jus
150 grams butter
4 chicken breasts, skin on
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 chicken wings
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
7 garlic cloves, peeled
8 sprigs thyme
4 fresh bay leaves
1/3 cup white wine
8 slices pancetta
½ cup picked parsley leaves
rind of 1 lemon, grated
10 button mushrooms, 5 thinly sliced and 5 halved
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Peel and finely chop 4 of the onions. Place 130 grams of the butter in a frypan and set over low heat. Once melted add the onions and fry gently without colouring. Once onions have softened, cover frypan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are really soft and broken down, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and process until really smooth. Season with salt and set aside.
- To make the Jus, place 1 tablespoon oil to a frypan and set over high heat. Add chicken wings and fry until caramelised. Add carrot, celery, roughly chopped remaining onion, 6 cloves roughly chopped garlic, thyme and bay leaves and continue to cook until caramelised. Add wine and cook for a minute. Add 600 ml water and allow to boil until reduced by half. Remove from heat, strain into a clean saucepan, season and set aside.
- Lay chicken breasts on a board, skin side down. Flatten out with a mallet to 1.5cm thick. Top each with a slice of pancetta, picked parsley leaves, remaining clove garlic, finely chopped and lemon rind. Roll up and tie with twine to hold their shape.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil in a frypan set over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until brown on all sides. Transfer to the oven and cook until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to rest.
- Place remaining 20 grams butter in a frypan and set over medium heat. Add remaining 4 slices pancetta and cook until crisp. Remove from frypan and cut finely. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the frypan. Add sliced and whole mushrooms and sprig thyme and cook until browned. Remove from heat, season and set aside.
- To serve, remove twine from chicken and slice. Place a spoonful of onion puree on the plate. Add chicken slices, jus and mushrooms and sprinkle with pancetta crumbs.