Ep 27 - Chicken Roulade
EP 27 Red Team
Chicken Roulade with currants, pinenuts and pumpkin puree
Ascot House Wedding Challenge
oil for deep frying
2 small beetroot
2 chicken breasts, skin removed and reserved
100 mls olive oil
400 grams chicken bones
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons butter
½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
½ apple, peeled and cut into 1 cm dice
2 tablespoons currants
½ teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
400 grams pumpkin, peeled and roughly chopped
100 ml cream
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 cm dice
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C. Heat sous vide machine to 65C. Heat deep fryer to 175C.
- Place beetroot on a sheet of foil, drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Wrap tightly and place on a small oven tray to bake in oven until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven, peel and cut into 1cm cubes. Cover and set aside.
- Place chicken skin on a paper lined baking tray, sprinkle with salt and cover with another baking tray. Cook until skin is crisp, about 20-25 minutes. Set aside.
- For the jus, place 1 tablespoon olive oil and chicken bones in flameproof baking dish and place in the oven until brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer baking dish onto stovetop over a medium high heat. Add stock and 1 cup water and simmer until reduced to 150ml, about 25-30 minutes. Strain into a small saucepan and whisk in 1 tablespoon butter. Season and set aside, keeping warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in frypan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Add apple, currants and cumin and cook until almost soft. Stir in pine nuts and set aside to cool.
- Lay each chicken breast on a piece of plastic wrap. Gently flatten breast until 1 cm thick. Season each fillet with salt and pepper and divide pine nut mixture between fillets. Roll up chicken tightly to form a log. Wrap plastic wrap tightly around chicken several times and tie ends securely. Place roulade in sous vide machine and cook for 40 minutes. Remove from sous vide and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Add pumpkin and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and place in a blender. Add cream and 1 tablespoon butter. Puree until smooth. Season to taste and set aside to keep warm.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat. Add potatoes and cook until almost tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Place potatoes in deep fryer and cook until crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
- Remove chicken from plastic. Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat and cook chicken, turning, until brown all over. Remove from heat, cover with foil to rest.
- To serve, smear pumpkin puree onto serving plates. Slice rested chicken and place on top. Add potatoes, beetroot and jus. Top with crisp chicken skin.