Ep 24 - Walnut Crumbed Sardines with Lentil
EP 24 Renae Smith
Walnut Crumbed Sardines with Lentil, Kale and Sweet Potato Salad
oil for deep fryer
175 grams yoghurt
¼ cup green lentils
1/3 cup raw sugar
100 ml vinegar
25 grams goji berries
50 grams blueberries
1 bunch kale leaves
1 x 700 gram sweet potato, peeled and ½ cut into 1 cm dice and ½ thinly sliced
6 tablespoon butter
½ cup cream
120 grams walnuts, toasted
1/3 cup flour
4 sardines, cleaned and back bone removed
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C. Preheat deep fryer to 180C.
- Place yoghurt in a piece of cheesecloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible into a bowl. Place yoghurt in cheesecloth in a sieve set over the bowl and set aside to drain remaining liquid.
- Place lentils and 2 cups water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until lentils are just tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons vinegar and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan and set over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, add goji berries and blueberries and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add ½ kale leaves and blanch, remove kale leaves from water and place in an ice bath. Drain, cut 2 leaves into strips and set aside.
- Add ½ of the diced sweet potato to boiling water. Cook until tender. Remove from water and place in a saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 4 tablespoons cream, and blanched, whole kale leaves. Set saucepan over medium heat and bring ingredients to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Transfer mixture to a food processor and process until smooth. Pass through a sieve into a bowl and set aside.
- Place remaining ½ of the diced sweet potato on a baking tray. Drizzle with xx grape seed oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in the oven to roast until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place remaining sugar and vinegar in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, add ¼ cup reserved, cooked lentils and 1 tablespoon walnuts and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place 25 grams butter in a saucepan and set over medium heat to melt and foam. Add remaining cooked lentils and stir for 2-3 minutes until butter browns. Remove from heat and set aside, keeping warm.
- Place remaining walnuts in a food processor and process to a coarse crumb. Transfer to a bowl. Place egg in a bowl and lightly whisk. Place flour in a bowl. Dip sardines in flour, then egg, then walnut crumbs to coat. Place coated sardines in deep fryer and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel.
- Add sweet potato slices to deep fryer and cook until crisp, about 1 minute. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel.
- Add half remaining kale leaves to deep fryer and fry until crisp. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel.
- To serve, place a spoonful of puree on plate. Top with buttered lentils and roasted, diced sweet potato and sardine. Drain berries and add to plate. Add blanched kale strips and deep fried kale leaves. Sprinkle with vinegar lentils and add sweet potato chip and yoghurt curd. Finely shred remaining kale and add to plate. Season.