Ep 24 - Sardines, Kale, Sweet Potatoes
EP 24 Ben
Sardines, Kale, Sweet Potatoes and Walnuts
1 bunch kale
¼ cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
8 sardines, cleaned and back bone removed
4 tablespoons yoghurt
2 tablespoons milk
oil for deep frying
1 sweet potato (500 grams), peeled and cut into 1cm dice
300 ml cream
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Add 8 kale leaves and blanch until bright green. Remove from water and place in an ice bath. Remove from ice bath and pat dry.
- Place 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts in each sardine and wrap with a blanched kale leaf. Set aside.
- Place yoghurt and milk in a small bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and set aside.
- Heat 125 ml oil in a small saucepan set over high heat. Cut 5 kale leaves into 5 cm pieces. Add kale pieces, in batches, to hot oil and fry until crisp. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel. Sprinkle with salt.
- Reheat oil, add diced sweet potato and cook until lightly browned and tender. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Season and set aside.
- Finely chop remaining kale. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a fry pan set over medium heat. Add chopped kale and cook until soft. Add cream, season and cook gently for 5 minutes. Add vinegar, then remove from heat. Transfer to a blender and process to a fine puree. Transfer puree to a saucepan and set over medium heat, add butter and stir to combine. Set aside, keeping warm.
- Place 3 tablespoon oil in a fry pan set over medium heat. Add sweet potato and cook until lightly browned and tender. Remove from heat, season and set aside.
- Place a griddle pan over high heat. Season sardines and cook 2 minutes each side. Remove from heat.
- To serve, place kale puree on each plate. Scatter with sweet potato, top with sardines and crispy kale pieces. Drizzle with yoghurt sauce and sprinkle with remaining chopped walnuts.