Ep 23 - Prawn Okra Curry
Chennai Prawn Vendaki
(prawn okra curry)
Masterclass recipe by Kumar
100ml unscented sesame oil
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbs cumin seeds
100g eschalots, chopped
100g okra, trimmed, 3cm incision on 1 side
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tbs ground coriander
1 tbs ground chilli
150ml tamarind pulp
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
12 jumbo prawns, peeled and de-veined, head and tail left intact
100g shredded fresh coconut
2 tbs chana dal (yellow split peas)
12 fresh curry leaves
4 whole dry red chillies
Steamed rice, to serve
1. Heat 60ml of the sesame oil in a large wok over high
heat. Add the mustard seeds and cook for 2 minutes until they have
stopped popping. Add the fenugreek seeds and cook for about 30
seconds before adding the cumin seeds and eschalots. Toss to coat.
Cook for a few minutes, stirring, until the eschalots have
softened. Add the okra, season with sea salt and cook for 3-5
minutes or until slightly softened. Remove okra from the wok and
2. Add the dry spices along with 500ml of water to the wok. Stir well to combine. Add the tamarind pulp and tomatoes, and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add the prawns and a pinch of sea salt. Cover and cook for a further 3 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, process coconut and chana dal with 150ml of water in a blender until smooth.
4. Stir the coconut paste through the curry and add half of the curry leaves and cooked okra. Cover with the lid.
5. Heat remaining sesame oil in a frying pan over high heat. When oil is smoking add dried chillies and cook until black and blistered. Remove pan from the heat and add the remaining curry leaves. Pour the mixture into the curry and cover with the lid for a further 2 minutes.
6. Serve with steamed rice.