Ep 19 - Vegetables 9 Ways
EP 19 Emelia Jackson
Vegetables 9 Ways
600 gram pumpkin, peeled and seeds reserved
1/3 cup grape seed oil
270 gram brussel sprouts
3 teaspoons white vinegar
30 grams sugar
200 ml milk
100 ml cream
30 grams butter
175 grams potato, peeled and trimmed
12 garlic cloves
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place pumpkin seeds and 2 teaspoons grape seed oil in a bowl and toss to coat. Transfer to a baking tray and place in the oven to cook until crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make candied pumpkin, cut 100 grams pumpkin into fine matchsticks. Place sugar and 1 tablespoon water in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, add 2 teaspoons vinegar and pumpkin and set aside until needed.
- Peel outer leaves from 4 brussel sprouts, set aside centres. Place a saucepan of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Drop leaves into water and blanch until bright green, remove from water, refresh in an ice bath and set aside on paper towel until needed.
- Shave reserved brussel sprout centres thinly on a mandoline. Place in a bowl with 1 teaspoon vinegar and 2 teaspoons grape seed oil and toss to coat, set aside.
- Finely chop remaining 400 grams pumpkin and place in a saucepan with milk and cream and set over medium heat. Allow to boil until pumpkin is tender, and milk/cream is reduced by half. Remove from heat, pass through a fine sieve, season and set aside, keeping warm.
- Slice potato finely using a mandoline. Place remaining grape seed oil in a frypan and set over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add potato slices and fry until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Remove potato from oil and set aside on paper towel.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons grape seed oil from frypan. Add butter and reduce heat to medium. Cut remaining pumpkin into 4 and add to frypan. Cut remaining brussel sprouts in quarters and add to frypan. Add garlic cloves to frypan and cook, turning pumpkin once until vegetables are cooked and golden. Remove vegetables from frypan and peel garlic.
- To serve, spread some pumpkin puree on each plate and top with roasted pumpkin, brussel sprouts and garlic, brussel sprout salad and leaves, candied pumpkin, potato crisp and garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds. Season to taste.