Ep 19 - Thai Red Prawns
EP 19 Brenton Owens
Thai Red Prawns with Coconut Lemongrass Panna Cotta
400 ml coconut milk
1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
2 titanium gelatine leaves, softened in ice water
1 x 8cm piece ginger
2 long red chillis
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon fish sauce
8 stalks coriander, leaves pick for garnish, stems reserved
2 mango cheeks, cut into 1cm strips
80 ml oil
12 green prawns, peeled and de-veined
2 teaspoons palm sugar, grated
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tomato, seeds removed and sliced into fine slithers
cashew nuts, roasted for garnish
spring onion, finely sliced for garnish
- Place coconut milk and lemongrass in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, add softened gelatine and stir until dissolved. Allow to sit to infuse for 5 minutes. Strain into an 18cm x 28cm tray and place in the freezer until set.
- To make a paste, place the ginger, chillis, garlic, fish sauce, and coriander stems into a food processor and process to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Place a grill pan over high heat. Once hot, place mango pieces on the grill and cook on both sides until marks appear. Remove mango from grill and set aside.
- Toss prawns in 1 tablespoon oil, add to grill and cook until almost cooked through. Add reserved paste and cook stirring to coat in paste until fully cooked through. Remove prawns from grill. Continue to cook paste on grill, slowly add remaining oil, stirring, until paste becomes a vinaigrette. Remove from heat, add palm sugar and lime juice and stir to combine.
- To serve, remove panna cotta from freezer and slice into 4 rectangles 7cm x 18cm and place a slice on each serving plate. Add prawns, mango and slithers of tomato. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Garnish with coriander leaves, cashew nuts and spring onion.