Ep 17 - Thyme Panna Cotta
EP 17 Blue Team
Thyme Panna Cotta with Apricots
200 ml cream
25 grams sugar
1 2/3 gold gelatine leaves, softened in ice water
4 sprigs thyme
130 grams Boiron apricot puree
1 1/3 gold gelatine leaves, softened in ice water
2 apricots, halved and pip removed
peel of ½ lemon
2 tablespoons sugar
50 grams butter
30 grams caster sugar
40 grams 70 % dark chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon black food colouring powder
75 grams plain flour
¼ cup isomalt
raspberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make the panna cotta place cream, sugar and thyme in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat, add gelatine and stir until dissolved. Strain through a fine sieve and pour into 4 x ½ cup moulds and place in the fridge to set, about 45 minutes.
- To make apricot jelly, place apricot puree in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat, add gelatine and stir until dissolved and allow to cool. Remove set panna cotta from fridge then carefully pour cooled apricot jelly on top of pan cotta and return to fridge until set, about 60 minutes.
- To poach the apricots, place the sugar, lemon peel and 180 ml water in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, add apricots, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer gently until apricots have softened, but still hold their shape, about 7 minutes. Remove apricots from sugar syrup. Increase heat to medium and allow syrup to reduce until thick and syrupy. Set aside. Peel cooked apricots, cut into quarters and set aside.
- To make the cocoa crumb place butter and sugar in a smaller mixer and beat until creamy. Add the melted chocolate and mix until combined. Add the black powder and flour and mix until combined. Transfer mixture to a bench and roll out between 2 sheets baking paper. Transfer to a baking tray, remove top sheet of paper and place in the oven to bake until edges have browned, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a food processor and pulse to a fine crumb.
- Place the isomalt and 1 tablespoon water in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Allow to boil until temperature reaches 160C. Remove from heat and using a fork, spin until fine threads are made.
- To plate, remove set panna cotta and jelly from fridge and un mould onto plates. Add some poached apricot quarters and reduced sugar syrup. Garnish with raspberries and spider web.