Ep 14 - Curry Puffs
EP 14 Tash Shanmugarajah
Curry Puffs with Grandma’s Acar
185ml/ ¾ cup vegetable oil plus more for deep frying
1 onion, cut in 8 wedges
1 x 150 gram cucumber, deseeded, cut into 7mm x 7.5cm lengths
1 x 100gram carrot, peeled, cut into 7mm x 7.5 cm lengths
100 ml rice vinegar
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoons hot chilli sauce
1 red chilli, thinly sliced
500g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
2 shallots, finely sliced
3 cm piece ginger, grated
1 tablespoon curry powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon turmeric
3 cups flour
crushed roasted peanuts, to garnish
salt, to taste
- For the acar, heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok until just smoking. Add onion, cucumber and carrot and cook until vegetables begin to soften. Add rice vinegar, sugar, and hot chilli sauce. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 6-7 minutes, then toss through chillies. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make curry puff filling, place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with salted water. Set over high heat and bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer until almost tender, about 7-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a small frypan, heat 2 tablespoons oil then add the shallots and ginger. Fry for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add potatoes and cook for 2 minutes then add spices. Toss through to coat and continue to cook over medium heat, adding 3-4 tablespoons water to prevent spices from burning. Cook until potatoes are soft but retain their shape, about another 2 minutes. Mash slightly with the back of a spoon and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- For the dough, place 1 cup flour and ¼ teaspoon salt into a small bowl then add ½ cup water and mix with a spatula to form a soft dough. Cover and set aside.
- For the remainder of the dough, place 2 cups flour and ¼ teaspoon salt into bowl of electric mixer. Heat ½ cup vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat to 100C then carefully pour into bowl with paddle on medium speed. Add 2-3 tablespoons water to bring dough together. Cover and set aside.
- Flatten first dough into a 25 cm circle and place second ball dough in the centre. Wrap base dough around ball to fully enclose. Roll out into rectangle about 2mm thickness. Roll dough from shorter side to form a log.
- Cut log into 2cm slices. Roll out each slice to 1mm thickness and cut into neat rounds using a 12cm cutter. Place 1 tablespoon potato filling on dough circle. Brush edge with water and fold to enclose, crimping edge to seal.
- Deep fry at 190C for 7-8 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve curry puffs with acar pickles and peanuts.