Ep 11 - Quail de Naranja
Quail de Naranja, Almond and Orange Salsa and Sherry Vinegar Jus
2 tbsp thick cut orange marmalade
5½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 orange, zested and segmented
1 tsp lemon zest
6 thyme sprigs
½ bunch parsley, leaves picked, stems reserved
5 cloves garlic, skin on
125ml white wine
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 tbsp sweet orange marmalade
500g potatoes, skin on
½ cup (90g) blanched almonds
½ tsp smoked paprika
4 quail eggs
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- For the quail de naranja, prepare the marinade by combining thick cut marmalade, 2 tbsp olive oil, orange and lemon zest, salt and pepper in a shallow dish and mix well. Cut four quails in quarters and place in marinade and toss through. Set aside in fridge.
- Chop remaining two quails into small pieces and place into a small flameproof roasting dish over high heat. Cook until brown and caramelised. Add thyme sprigs then transfer to oven and roast for 20 minutes. Return roasting dish to a medium heat and add parsley stems, 2 cloves garlic, white wine and 1 tbsp sherry vinegar. Simmer until reduced by half then add 350ml water and 1 tbsp sweet orange marmalade. Simmer for 15 mins until reduced. Strain into a jug, season to taste and set aside.
- For the potatoes, slice into 1cm thick rounds and place in a medium bowl. Toss with 2 tbsp olive oil, remaining 3 cloves garlic, salt and pepper. Spread out onto paper lined baking tray and bake for 35-40 minutes until tender and golden. Set aside.
- For the almond and orange salsa, toss the almonds in the remaining 1 tbsp sweet orange marmalade and spread out on a paper lined baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes until deep golden. Chop roughly and place into medium bowl. Add roughly chopped parsley leaves, halved orange segments, 1 tbsp sherry vinegar, smoked paprika, 1½ tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix gently to combine and set aside in fridge.
- For the quail eggs, bring small saucepan of water to the boil. Carefully lower quail eggs into water and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from water then place into bowl of room temperature water. Peel carefully and slice in half.
- To cook the quail, heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add vegetable oil then marinated quail and cook, reducing heat if necessary, for 2 ½ - 3 minutes on each side until quail is cooked through. Remove from pan and rest.
- To serve, lay potatoes in base of serving plates. Top with quail de naranja, almond and orange salsa, quail egg halves and sherry vinegar jus.