Ep 11 - Lemon and Lime Curd Tart
EP 11 Tracy Collins
Lemon and Lime Curd Tart with Meringue and Candied Orange
zest of 1 orange, pith removed and cut into circles
420 grams caster sugar
125 grams plain flour
100 grams unsalted butter, chilled, cubed
25 grams pure icing sugar
5 egg yolks and 2 egg whites
½ cup lemon juice
60 grams cornflour
80 grams butter
½ cup lime juice
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a small saucepan, heat 150 grams caster sugar with 150ml water, stirring until sugar dissolves. Brush down sides of saucepan with a pastry brush dipped into water. Add orange zest circles and cook until translucent, about 20 – 25 minutes. Remove form syrup and set aside.
- To make the pastry, combine flour, unsalted butter and icing sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Process for 30 seconds until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add 1 egg yolk and 1-2 tablespoons of water and process until mixture forms a soft dough. Turn mixture onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 mins.
- Roll pastry to 3mm thickness and line 4 x 12cm loose bottom tart tins. Prick bases and place in freezer for 5 minutes. Line pastry with baking paper then pastry weights and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, remove baking paper and weights and return to oven. Bake for 9-10 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and cool.
- For the lemon curd, pour lemon juice into bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Combine 2 tablespoons water with 30 grams cornflour, mix well then add to lemon juice along with 165 ml boiling water and whisk together. In a separate bowl, mix 2 egg yolks and 80 grams caster sugar and beat for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Add to lemon mixture and whisk until curd thickens, about 2 minutes. Whisk in 40 grams butter then strain into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the lime curd, pour lime juice into bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Combine 2 tablespoons water with remaining 30 grams cornflour, mix well then add to lime juice along with 165 ml boiling water and whisk together. In a separate bowl, mix remaining 2 egg yolks and 80 grams caster sugar and beat for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Add to lime mixture and whisk until curd thickens, about 2 minutes. Whisk in remaining 40 grams butter then strain into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the Italian Meringue, combine remaining 110 grams caster sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. In the meantime, beat egg whites using electric mixer until soft peaks form. When syrup reaches temperature of 118c, slowly pour into beaten egg whites and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- To assemble, transfer lemon and lime curd into piping bags and pipe into tart shells. Top with meringue and brown meringue with blow torch. Serve with candied orange zest.