Ep 1 - Steak Frites
Steak Frites with Maitre d’ Butter
600g scotch fillet , at room temperature
Peanut oil or canola for frying fries
Grapeseed or neutral frying oil for steak
2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into shoestring, 8mm x 8mm
1 cup Portobello mushrooms
3 tablespoons Truffle oil
1/4 cup white wine
sea salt flakes
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
2 cups canola oil
1 small bunch sage
1 small bunch of thyme
1 stick of rosemary
1 bunch of basil
1 bunch of tarragon
Cayenne pepper pinch
Garlic powder a pinch
Rocket 1 small handful
- Heat canola oil in a deep fryer to 150 C.
- Process the butter till light, then add finely chopped garlic, thyme, rosemary and tarragon.
- To make the mayonnaise, add the egg to a food processor or blender, add 1 teaspoon of vinegar and a pinch of salt, process until foamy and light. With the motor running, slowly add 1 cup canola oil until incorporated and mayonnaise is thick. Transfer to a bowl, add basil leaves and lemon juice, cayenne and salt to taste. Set aside in the fridge.
- Place a large saucepan of boiling water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and boil for 6 minutes. Remove potatoes from water, dry off and transfer to a bowl. Add the rice flour and toss to coat. Place in the fridge to cool. Once cool, add to the deep fryer and fry 3-4 minutes, not allowing to colour. Remove fries from the oil and set aside in the fridge on paper towel.
- Add the sage to the deep fryer and fry until crisp, about xx minutes. Remove from oil and dry on absorbent paper. Transfer to a large bowl and crush to form sage powder, add sea salt flakes, toss to combine and set aside.
- Increase the temperature of the oil to 180 C.
- Meanwhile, to cook the mushrooms. Place the Portobello mushrooms and truffle oil in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until starting to soften, about xx minutes. Add salt and the garlic and continue cooking until golden brown. Add white wine to deglaze the pan. Set aside.
- Place a cast iron grill pan over high heat. Add xx oil to the pan, season the steak and cook on a 45 degree angle on the grill for one minute change angle another minute to get the score marks and season before flipping. Flip, and continue to cook until meat is rare. Remove the steak from the heat and rest on a rack. Add 1 tablespoon reserved herb butter, cover with foil and set aside to rest.
- Remove fries from fridge, add to the oil and fry until golden, about xx minutes. Remove the fries and transfer to the bowl with powdered fried sage and sea salt flakes. Toss to combine.
- To serve add the steak and fries to a plate. Serve with mayonnaise and rocket, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.