Chicken with Preserved Lemon with Almond and Pomegranate Couscous
Chicken with Preserved Lemon with Almond and Pomegranate
Recipe By Michelle
Tested by Kirsten Jenkins
1 whole free range chicken
4 star anise
1 bunch spring onions with bulbs, trimmed of green stalks
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup blanched almonds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 baby preserved lemon, plus 2 tbsp of preserving liquid
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 cup couscous
1/2 pomegranate, seeds and juice
6 fresh butter beans, trimmed
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Remove breast
from the chicken. Set aside chicken carcass for stock.
2. Fill a medium saucepan with water and place over a high heat; add the chicken carcass, 3 star anise, 4 spring onions and half of the garlic, season with salt and pepper, leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Place a non stick frying pan over a medium heat and dry roast the almonds, until lightly browned, remove, place on a chopping board and roughly chop. Using the same frying pan repeat the process with the cumin seeds.
4. Cut the lemon in half, scoop out pulp. Finely slice lemon rind, set aside to serve.
5. Place chicken breast, remaining garlic, coriander, cumin, 1 tbsp preserving liquid and 2 tbsp of oil in a bowl, cover and set aside to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken breast and remaining spring onion bulbs, brown chicken on both sides, place in oven and cook for a further 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
7. To prepare couscous, add ý cup of the boiling poaching stock, oil, almonds, half the pomegranate seeds and juice, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, cover and set aside.
8. Place butter beans in remaining poaching stock and blanch for 2 minutes.
9. Combine in a bowl 1 tbsp of oil, the remaining pomegranate seeds and juice, and preserving liquid. Season to taste.
10. To serve, arrange the couscous on a plate, topped with sliced chicken breast, butter beans and preserved lemon rind. Drizzle pomegranate mixture around plate followed by the caramelised spring onions.