Aaron H Q & A
1. Favourite chef: Anthony Bourdain, the original rock n roll chef. Kitchen Confidential changed the way I looked at the food industry.
2. Favourite restaurant: Fratelli Paradiso - the best food and coolest attitude in Sydney
3. Favourite cuisine: Italian, Mexican, Thai, Malaysian, French and much more. I could go on forever!
4. Favourite place to travel: France or Italy, nothing like going old school.
5. Favourite dish to cook: Osso bucco and pork loin pappardelle. When slow cooked, this bad boy knocks your socks off!
6. Favourite vegetable: Courgette flower, pretty to look at and packed full of flavour.
7. Sweet or savoury: Savoury all the way.
8. How do you like your eggs: Scrambled&just like my brain!
Favourite ingredient and why?
I love the tomato, so humble and so versatile. They come in so many varieties and can fit into almost any recipe. They are called love apples for a reason.
What's your favourite meal of the day - breakfast, lunch or dinner?
I'm not a big morning person so it would have to be dinner for me. There is no greater reward than having the time to cook something delicious for the ones you love and enjoying it with them.
What dish would be the way to your heart?
Almost any type of pasta dish will make me smile.
What are your favourite tunes to cook to?
Depends on what I'm cooking. Anything from Hendrix to Mudhoney and everything in between.
What do you think you'll learn from being on
To be able to cook better than an amateur and more like a professional.
Which judge makes you the most nervous?
The judges are pretty intimidating. If I had to pick one, I would say George - you never know what he is thinking.
Tell us about how you got into cooking and how old were you?
I really started getting into food and flavours in my early teens. It took me a hell of a lot longer, though, to make anything edible!
What's the first meal you remember cooking and was it a
success or a disaster?
Red curry. It was so hot nobody could eat it. I think I started sweating and hallucinating from the first mouthful!
What three ingredients would you take with you to a
desert island and what would you cook with them?
Olive oil, garlic and spaghetti. I would catch a fish and cook a pasta.
If you were having any three people, alive or dead, over
for dinner, who would they be and what would you cook for
Bret Easton Ellis, Trey Parker and Anthony Bourdain. No matter what I served it would be the wildest dinner of all time!
What inspired you to go on MasterChef?
My father was my main inspiration. He recently survived a heart attack and told me that if I wanted to do something in my life, now was the time to do it - have no regrets. I love working with bands but I could work with food also, I would be in heaven.