Ep 8 -Christmas: Roast chestnut, parsnip and apple soup
STARTER - Roast chestnut, parsnip and apple soup
2 medium parsnips, peeled and grated
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 tsp curry powder
Small bunch sage
1 apple, cored and chopped
250g roasted chestnuts, shelled, skinned and roughly chopped
800ml -1 ltre hot vegetable stock
100ml single cream
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a wide pan and add the parsnips. Allow to cook out briefly before adding the celery followed by the apples.
2. Add the curry powder and tear in a couple of sage leaves.
3. Season with salt and pepper and allow to soften before adding the chestnuts.
4. Pour in the stock. Cover and allow to simmer for 4 - 5 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the cream.
6. Use a hand-held stick blender or a regular blender to liquidize the soup to a smooth and creamy purée (you may need to do this in batches if using a jug blender).
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
8. If you prefer the soup thinner, loosen the consistency with a splash of hot water.
9. Pour into warm bowls. Finely slice 3-4 sage leaves and sprinkle over the soup to garnish. Drizzle over a little olive oil and serve.