Ep 3: Credit Crunch Recipe - Minted pea and watercress velouté
Episode 3 - Credit Crunch Dinner
STARTER - Minted pea and watercress velouté
- Serves 4
1tbsp olive oil
1/2 white onion
4 slices smoked streaky bacon
500g frozen peas, thoroughly defrosted
20g (or small bunch) fresh mint leaves
Approx 550ml boiling water
Approx 30ml double cream
Salt & pepper
1. Heat the oil in a pan. Slice the onion and chop the bacon before frying together for 1-2 minutes.
2. Once the onion has softened and the bacon has browned use a pair of scissors to chop in the mint leaves. Allow to cook briefly before adding the peas.
3. Season with a little salt, then add the watercress and allow to sweat down for 30 seconds.
4. Pour in 550ml boiling water and allow the peas to cook - approximately a further 1 - 2 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and transfer the soup to a liquidiser and blend. Alternatively, use a hand blender and blend in the pan until smooth. If the soup is a little too thick, add an extra splash of water.
6. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and pour the soup into serving bowls.
7. Drizzle with a swirl of cream to serve.